Tuesday 15 October 2013

Behind the Candelabra film review

The story of Scott Thorson's relationship with Liberace provides rich material for actors and film-makers to play with.  Unfortunately the story is really rather unpleasant, so Behind the Candelabra is a tough film to enjoy.  I loved the kitsch glamour of Liberace's homes and apparel, and I was in awe of Michael Douglas' and Matt Damon's performances.  But the story made me itch more than it made me laugh or cry or think.  There is something very uncomfortable about watching an unhealthy relationship run its course.

Steven Soderbergh is known for his confidence to stray from the safe and formulaic and experiment with new structures for his films.  This film fits that bill with various levels of success.  Soderbergh maintains a consistency despite an unusual structure by keeping the film's focus squarely on Thorson...until he doesn't.  The final act of the film is quite a mess.  I hardly knew where to look anymore.  Similarly the tone of the piece shifts throughout, which I really struggled with.  My favourite scenes were those in which Rob Lowe lifted the tone to that of a light comedy.  My least favourite scenes were those that implied some political axe to grind.  Most of the film, though, was unlike either of these sections.

I would liken this film to a buffet; the viewer is presented with a range of goods, and can take what he wants.  Most of what is on offer is of the very highest quality, but it is hard not to question why the Black Forest Gateau is presented between the Duck Cassoulet and the Meatloaf.

I am not qualified to say how accurate the depiction is to actual events, but I felt that the film was perhaps hampered by trying to portray things faithfully.  In the end it felt like a string of events rather than a story with a heart and a climax.

See this film to witness some of this year's best performances caught on camera.  Just watch it all and take what you like, but I would be surprised if many of us go back for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment