Thursday 30 May 2013

Barbara film review

Barbara claims not to like the sea.  This rings true, as she would be better characterised by still waters.  The sort that run deep.  Like Barbara (the character), Barbara (the film) presents a story with much more beneath the surface than what the viewer is party to.  I found it tested my knowledge of German history and I drew conclusions that may or may not have right - but the film is all the more enjoyable because of it.

The story is specific to a certain time and a certain place, though this time and place is never exactly spelled out.  As I left the cinema, I overheard a fellow patron say "I'd be interested to know the era in which that took place".  And my immediate response was "But it was obviously...um...the cold war era...so probably...late seventies?  I think.  Obviously."  It is this ambiguity that makes Barbara a difficult film with which to connect.  The title character's coldness certainly does not help.  Yet I enjoyed it immensely.  The story develops naturally, never forced, and the cinematography is clean and precise.  The characters are sometimes likeable, sometimes not - but always interesting.  This stalwart refusal to endear the audience makes the film's resolve much more satisfying.  As the story progresses, we are given occasional glimpses into Barbara's true character and I, for one, found it quite affecting that her life depends on hiding her true character.  So when she finally reveals it well and truly it is a magnificent moment, and is typically underplayed by this most modest of films.

I recommend Barbara, and yet I know that it is not for everyone.  It is like that rare flavour of chocolate that doesn't quite work for you...until it really really does and then nothing could be better.

See this film if you know a bit about the cold war and East Germany, enjoy subtle characterisation and are open to a story being heart-warming or alienating...or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment