Saturday 4 May 2013

Midnight in Moscow theatre review

I got bored within the first ten seconds, and sadly Midnight in Moscow never won me back.  It sounds like an exaggeration that I was put off so immediately, but the play opens with our protagonist reciting a poem by Boris Pasternak.  In darkness.  In a weird toffy accent.  With no respect for the recitation of poetry.  This proved to be an epilogue, and the scenes had more potential to be tolerable.  Sure, the characters were interesting.  Sure, the dialogue cracked along at a nice pace.  Sure, there were a few lines that made me chortle.  Nothing happened though.  I audibly balked as the lights come up for intermission and still the plot eluded me.  

In Act II, I managed to figure out what era we were in.  It takes place around 1950.  As it turns out, the political climate of the time is extremely important to give context to the...'story' seems like too strong a word.

This play is one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever encountered.  And I saw Circle Mirror Transformation.  I do not even want to discuss it, because there were so few redeeming features and dwelling on what took place makes me feel sad.

The cast were mostly fine.  The main gripe I have, where acting is concerned, is with Hera Dunleavy's character.  As far as I could tell, her character was written as the comic relief.  Her lines would indicate that she is somewhat dotty, but in a charming eccentric, energetic manner.  Dunleavy's portrayal of the character was cheery and optimistic, but also somehow weighed down with a sadness and knowingness that completely kill any chance of her contributions producing a laugh.  This is may be quite Russian, but it seemed to go against the rhythm of the script.

This play also explores a seldom seen side of homosexuality: namely the side where it is freely acknowledged and frankly discussed that a man is gay, yet it is to be understood that he is in love with one woman and marrying another.  What?

See this play if you have played Russian Roulette and come away disappointed that you fired from an empty chamber.  This may just kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment