Tuesday 12 March 2013

Rhinoceros in Love theatre review

Ma Lu is in love with his neighbour Ming Ming, in spite of her smelling like a photocopier.  Ming Ming is in an unhealthy relationship but can't tear herself away from it.  Ma Lu frees her from this damaging relationship by tying her up and keeping her in his apartment.

Is that what happens when a rhinoceros is in love?  Is it what happens in The National Theatre of China's most successful play?  Could be.  It's hard to say really.  I found the storytelling to be somewhat vague and ambiguous.  This is consistent with the poetic tone of the language and visual elements, but left me unsatisfied.   When there is a story to be told, I like that story to make itself known.  I can live with some uncertainty, but for my comprehension of the main story to be uncertain feels unintentional at best and a complete botch-up at worst.  In this case I did not comprehend what was happening, much less why.

Although the play is performed in Mandarin, I don't blame that for my struggle to perceive what was going on.  The onstage action alternates between plot-driven scenes by the two love interests and thematic diversions from the ensemble.  These thematic diversions were seldom interesting and often felt like a half-hearted attempt to get a laugh.  I would rather have focused on the story.  So when the central characters did take the stage I grew increasingly frustrated as their actions proved ambiguous.  Why are they speaking to the front, and not to each other?  Why are they running on a treadmill?  Why is he putting on his jacket - I mean taking it off - I mean putting it on?  Why? Why? Why?  

I did not know what I was watching and I was growing bored with the actors standing static on a bare stage.  Then suddenly, as if to appease my craving for visual stimuli, the stage explodes with colour, movement, flying props, overbearing shadows and so much water.  Well it's fun and interesting but by then I felt too distant from the characters and their rhinoceroses to be drawn back in.

This show contains much beautiful imagery, and the story is probably quite good (I am waiting for someone to tell me what it was).  But amidst these gems was far too much dross for me to bare.  Editing is required.

See this show if you understand Mandarin.  Judging by the enthusiastic standing ovation from several of the Chinese members of the audience I am led to believe this productions resonates more with those familiar with Chinese language and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment