Monday 18 March 2013

Silver Linings Playbook film review

This film is nuts!  And if it demonstrates anything, it is that being nuts has its advantages.  

It starts with a hiss and a roar, setting a frantic pace that it maintains through much of the film.  The fast-paced dialogue and fluid camera-work draw one in completely and the film just flies by.  It provides enough still moments for one to catch ones breath, but continues determinedly towards its conclusion.  

I barely knew it, but I was laughing and crying and guffawing and gasping.  This is totally my kind of film.  I love pieces that knit together comedy and drama and I agree with Amy Sherman-Palladino that so doing delivers a heavier hit.

The entire cast is outstanding.  I was particularly fond of Robert De Niro's emotionally awkward, yet loving neurotic loser of a father.  The characters are all quirky and larger than life, but there is such truth and such heart to their reactions and relationships that it rings true.  Seldom has romance been less romantic, except maybe in real life.

This is the ultimate feel-good movie.  I walked out of the cinema feeling so happy with life, and secure in the knowledge that achieving 50% is sometimes enough.

See this movie if you enjoy The Gilmore Girls, New Girl, The Garden State and happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment